Thursday, January 11, 2018

Apple's customer service keeps blowing my mind

@Apple @Applestore Anytime I go to an apple store to get something done, the customer service reps do something to go above and beyond to make me happy as a customer.

My first smartphone was an iPhone. I bought it 6 months after it was released in 2007 to take advantage of the $200 drop in price. Back then the earphones would wear out quickly. Whenever I would walk into an Apple retail store to complain about it, they would just take it and swap it out for a new one. Keep in mind that just a few feet away, they were selling that new earpiece for $50 on the shelf.

One time, some liquid dropped onto my black MacBook and my hard drive was destroyed. I took it to the apple store and while diagnosing, the genius said it seems some water poured inside of the keyboard, but, (he quietly whispered), "we'll take care of this for ya, don't worry". He replaced it with a new hard drive, no extra charge...at all.

Yesterday, I had plugged my MacBook Air into a socket that I found out later had a surge, and so the adapter was destroyed. I went over to the apple store, made an appointment in person (cos doing it online at home was gonna be a few days wait). I wondered about the mall for about 2-3 hours (kept busy in the mall). I got text messages letting me know when it was my turn. Came back. When the technician diagnosed it, he confirmed that it was indeed the adapter that was broken. They gave me two choices:
1. Buy the adapter with a 3-month warranty for $60
2. Buy the adapter with a 1-year warranty for $90

I went for the first option because I knew it would be brand new anyway and my previous new adapter had lasted for 4 years.

When he came back with the adapter and his iPad for me to sign, he told me that he did me a favor, NO EXTRA CHARGE!
He gave me the adapter FOR FREE!

I know you've heard that "there is no such thing as a free lunch."

But it seems as though Apple is giving away "free lunches?!"

Apple keeps buying my customer loyalty back each time I go to their store or engage with them on Twitter, via email or on the phone.

They understand that when I am wowed, I would take to social media and share my experience. They get that I'll tell my friends and family about it and convince them to buy a Mac...which I did...about 5 of them.

In fact, on a past job application to Apple, a question was, "Why do you want to work at the Apple Retail Store?
1. I love Apple products and am excited to sell them.
2. I already convert friends and family to Mac. It just makes sense to work for Apple.
3. I am an Apple fan and use them regularly.
4. I spend all of my time on my Mac

(Choose 1)

I couldn't decide between 1, 2, 3 or 4 and I could only select one!!!

Can you say that about any other company?

When Steve Jobs died, I cried. Why? I never met him. He's not a family member. Not even a friend of a friend.

Yet, through his products, I could feel the love, the care, and the obsession to make our lives a little bit better, a little bit more beautiful and a little bit happier through his technology. And that is something we don't always get, even from family or friends.

Thanks, Steve

Folarin

No comments: