Friday, June 18, 2010

Time

I take time seriously. I do not like to be late. I lived in the US for almost a decade, but I think my perception and principle/philosophy of time was
formed earlier than that. First, I would never be late for a formal meeting.
But further, even if I were meeting a friend for coffee, I wouldn’t be late. Anytime, I am running late, I call or text minutes before that time, and alert them. Usually, I end up being like 3 — 5 minutes late.
In college, my friends would host parties, if the party start time was 8pm. I’d be there at 8pm. The hosts would even say, you know 8pm means get here at 10pm or 11pm.
When I hosted my own party, I made sure the start AND END time for the party was clear. Cos I always thought it made no sense to have a start time but no end time. Then I got calls from my friends saying the party interval was too short, so I laughingly extended it, but still kept to the end time, because I was a busy guy — You don’t graduate with 2 Engineering degrees and not manage your time properly.
In Nigeria, where I live, being late is fashionable. Even being late for appointments is not uncommon. But despite the level of traffic, or mishaps on the way, I almost always arrive early, because it is the right thing to do.
Same principle goes for when I owe someone money, or when I have a project to turn in. Sometimes, my friends don’t like it when they say, “I’ll call you back” and I ask “When?” I like to know when, so I’ll expect and I’ll be ready for you. They are used to it now though. I am so used to scheduling
my time that I often astound myself. One time, I was at work, I said I’ll call my girlfriend in 20 minutes when I got home. 20 minutes later, not longer, not earlier, I called and she was very impressed.
Nigeria currently does not have constant electricity supply. The common phrase in the event of a power outtage is, “Light has gone o” or “Light has come” when power is restored. Many years ago, maybe 6 or so, the president assured the citizens that in two years there will be constant power supply. 2 years passed, 3, 4, 5, 6, still “No light”. The plans were not properly drawn out with milestones, and realistic events to happen to make it a success.
Anyway, there are many examples of that, but personally and in my own life, I will always keep to time because keeping to time is keeping a promise.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Krishna Kumar Shrestha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.